With the weather warming up and summer coming, everyone is itching to get outside. There are lots of fun activities you can enjoy with friends and family that won’t give your wallet a sunburn though. Here are a few great ideas for mostly free and definitely fun summer activities.
1. Grow a Garden or plant some flowers. Get the entire family involved in planting a garden. The kids will enjoy getting their hands in the dirt and then watching what they planted as it grows. Your family will be able to enjoy fresh produce all summer long, which will save you money on your grocery bill too! Check with your local nurseries for specials on flowers and plants. Spend some time making your yard look prettier. Check yard sales and Freecycle for benches or lumber to build your own benches for your little flower garden area. Make an oasis in your own yard.
2. Go to the park. It’s the perfect time to play outside. Visit your local parks for all kinds of fun from hiking trails to fishing to playing on the playground or having a family picnic. Many local parks offer Music or Movies in the Park each week where you can enjoy local musicians or movies on the big screen. Just bring a chair or blanket and some snacks and enjoy a free date night, girls’ night or family night.
3. Take a walk downtown. Head downtown and park your car then walk around and visit your local shops and boutiques and check out the local sites. Try out a new restaurant and support your own local economy.
4. Wash the car. Who doesn’t love to play in the water on a warm, summer day? Why not wash your car in the process? Get the kids involved and make some memories.
5. Have a cook out or neighborhood pot luck. Invite family, friends and neighbors over for an old fashioned block party. Have everyone bring a dish or food item. Play some old fashioned yard games like horse shoes, kick ball or whiffle ball. Everyone will have a great time making memories and you will get to know your neighbors and friends better.
6. Play some outdoor games. Put up a volleyball or badminton net or pull out the old slip n slide.
7. Go Bowling. Check out AMF’s Summer Unplugged Bowling special. Select AMF’s offer 2 free games per day for kids 15 and under and a special priced summer pass for everyone 16 and older from May 14 through Sept 3. Visit this link to learn more and find out what locations near you are offering free bowling.
8. Volunteer. There are many organizations that are in desperate need of volunteers. Habitat for Humanity, Feeding America or local food banks, local churches and homeless shelters are just a few places you could volunteer. There are also many great charity “walks” going on this time of year like The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life that are wonderful to participate in. One of the most rewarding activities you can do this summer is to pitch in and help others.
There are many ways to enjoy the summer without breaking the bank. Get outside and have some fun in the sun with family and friends!