I have been working to eat cleaner foods and live healthier. I still crave a lot of those “bad foods” though including tacos and Mexican food. Last night I decided to try making a new recipe- Bell Pepper Taco Bowls. Stuffed Bell Pepper Taco Bowls might be a better description.
They were delicious & I did not feel like I was missing out on the taco shell, cheese or sour cream. (Okay maybe the sour cream a little. It is hard to replace that flavor!) I served them with sauteed/caramelized onions and tomatoes and topped them with fresh avocado.
Ingredients/Food Items Needed:
1 lb of 97% lean ground beef
6 Bell Peppers
1 Packet of Taco Seasoning (or make your own)
1 8 oz can of Tomato Sauce
– Brown the hamburger meat, then drain it
– While the hamburger meat is browning, pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees
– Add 1 can of tomato sauce and the packet of taco seasoning & mix well
– Allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes
– Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove any seeds from the insides
– place them in an 8×8 or 9×13 pan (depending how many you are making)
– Spoon the taco meat into the bell peppers, don’t over stuff them
– Bake for about 20 minutes until you see the bell peppers skin begin to wrinkle
– Top with fresh avocado and serve with sauteed veggies (or rice if you are not trying to avoid starches)
The Bell Peppers give you the crunch and texture of the taco shell and the avocado helps give you the creamy taste and texture of cheese. A delicious, healthy and easy meal everyone will enjoy! They also taste great as leftovers!
If you enjoyed this recipe, I would love it if you would please share it, pin it or tweet it! Thank you so much!
Thanks so much to Naptime Creations for featuring my recipe in their Healthy Dinner Recipes Round Up!
Thanks also to View from the Fridge for featuring this recipe too!
This post may be linked up at any or all of these great linky parties